Sunday 5 April 2015

Large Mixed Media Canvas Completed

Photographing this piece has been a challenge, the blue has a more turquoise tinge to it, but if I adjust that, the red colour goes too orangey.  Oh the fun of photographing artwork properly!

This canvas is over 2 feet wide and exactly 3 feet tall.  I used scaled up versions of some of my favourite stencils, including text for texture and I thoroughly enjoyed working larger.

One of my artistic influences is Mark English, in particular, his landscapes.  The tree stencils I use really do remind me of his work and I get a little buzz every time I use them in my own work.

I revisited his website yesterday and began to wonder if I could make my abstracts look more like landscapes and I noodled around with Photoshop, trying out some digital ideas.  This is the result of layering some other paintings in places on this larger canvas.  Now I need to experiment to figure out how to do this for real!





17 comments:

Chris Lally said...

Rolina, this large piece is so striking and so polished! It stopped me in my tracks. I also love your experiments. Thanks for sharing them with us!

Rolina said...

Thanks so much, Chris, it took some time and many layers, but it was very enjoyable to do.

Win Dinn, Artist said...

What a fabulous painting...as always, I am struck by your wonderful colour combined with the geometric lineal aspects. Gorgeous!

Rolina said...

Many thanks, Win, I enjoy those geometric forms, maybe I will add some numbers to the mix next time!

Linda said...

I absolutely love this, Rolina! The colours and "feel" are gorgeous!

Rolina said...

Thanks for stopping by, Linda, and for your kind comment.

AprilRimpo said...

The new large piece is great, Rolina. Working large is a lot more fun than I expected before I started to do them. I really like the landscape idea you are exploring.

Rolina said...

You are right, April - I enjoyed it so much and will do more and I am looking forward to the landscape experiments!

http://cagleyart.blogspot.com/ said...

Rolina,

I love everything about this painting - the colors, shape and size - wonderful!

Rolina said...

Thanks so much Connie - it is very useful to get feedback!

Sheila said...

I love how the trees seem to sparkle. This painting just seems so alive! Love it, and your experiment. Look forward to seeing where it takes you :)

Rolina said...

Thanks Sheila - the trees are in flourescent orange (although it got muted by the preceding colours), which really stands out against the blue. I love playing one colour off against the other, it livens up a painting!

Jennifer Rose said...

very nice large piece :)

I think stencils used as masks would probably be your friend in the landscape experiments. will be interesting to see what you come up with :)

Rolina said...

Thanks Jennifer and, yes, I have a large roll of masking film that I will be using. Can hardly wait to get started!

Kristin said...

This is so cool! I love seeing your original painting (it's beautiful - the blues and red is really striking ;) sitting next to a possible twin. What a great peek into your artistic mind ;)
Thank you too for your sweet visit,
Kristin xo

kaslkaos said...

Love the sharp contrasts in shape and colour. Gorgeous!

Rolina said...

Many thanks Kristin and Kaslkaos for visiting and your kind comments!