Monday 8 June 2015

Boundaries Series - Push it

During my mindfulness sketchbook sessions, I find I spend more time drawing with charcoal on top of previously painted pages.

Liking the results in the sketchbook, I decided to try it out on a prepared canvas (the one in the last post, that looked like a snow scene).

First I painted over the lovely burnt paper effect (it is OK, I now know how to replicate it if or when I need to), with a few layers of acrylic paint.  I always start with darker colours and work towards lighter as I progress.  Well, when I say always, I mean mostly (sometimes I deviate from this).

Now, I rather liked what I had so far and I really didn't want to change it that much, but, you know and I know, that to progress with art, we have to push it - we have to push it real good!














So I pushed it and I am not entirely happy with the result, I overworked it and lost the translucency that I a wanted in the negative space, I was battling with the texture, it was making the drawn and calligraphic lines that I wanted broken and untidy, the tonal contrast is a bit too harsh to my eyes.

But I am happy that I tried and I have pinned this up on the wall, where it will stay with many other experiments until I AM happy with the results!


21 comments:

stapeliad said...

This reminds me of something..... it is something very good.....and I am trying to remember exactly what and my brain isn't working. (stained glass?)

But anyhow, I LOVE IT.

Rolina said...

Oh, that sounds interesting, Jessica - and thank you! I will have fun exploring anyway.

SMV said...

Rolina, this is fabulous (as usual). You have to be brave to 'push' in that way, especially when the image you were covering was so good to start with. It was worth it as it's great.
Sharon

Linda said...

I love the colours!

Chris Lally said...

I would still be happy with that result, and I will remember to push it. Thanks for the good advice!

Joy said...

You are so talented! Besutiful arts!

Jennifer Rose said...

I'm the same with Jessica, this reminds me of somebody but can't for the life of me figure out who, (this isn't a bad thing by the way)

I like this, reminds me a lot of a bunch of hanging glass but not as fragile :)

Rolina said...

Thanks for the lovely comments, Sharon, Linda, Chris, Joy and Jennifer.

Now, I am wondering too what it is reminding you of, I wonder if it is Miro? (ha, in my dreams, lol!)

AprilRimpo said...

I am always so intrigued by how many different paintings are underneath the layers of your work. It is always exciting to see your process.

Tammie Lee said...

the black does something wonderful to it
and your squiggly lines look a bit like stitching a wonderful effect
great colors too, unique
sweet week to you

Rolina said...

Thanks April, yes, I love the fun of applying layer on top of layer.

Tammie - you read my mind! I am thinking of sewing the lines on a future piece.

Valerie-Jael said...

I think it's beautiful! Valerie

CJ said...

Lovely images. I hadn't thought of using charcoal over painted paper. I think I gave up on charcoal a long time ago ---so messy to work with, but I like the results on your pieces.

Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting on my Summer of Color image.

TinaCollins said...

Very dramatic change. It took me a minute to work out what was what but I think your experiment was a worthwhile. I actually really like the less geometric shapes and also the tonal contrast. The thing about your wip's, is they never seem to go through an ugly phase, at every stage they work and say something. You are sooooo clever Rolina!

Sheila said...

Oh I love how it turned out Rolina! I can see what you mean about losing the transparency, but I think it came out great!

Rolina said...

Thanks Valerie, CJ, Tina and Sheila.

Heh, Tina - they DO go through an ugly stage, this one in particular nearly got junked and I was very close to tears, but of course I am too busy putting out the fires to stop and take a photograph.

Jennifer Rose said...

hmm might have been Miro, its the shapes, but still thinking it was also someone else, will have to get back to you on that :)

Win Dinn, Artist said...

The perfect way to learn what does and doesn't work, isn't it? Push, push, and push the limits some more. Love that you're so experimental with your work, Rolina. In my mind, it turned out extremely well!

Rolina said...

Thanks Jennifer, if it comes to you, I would love to know.

Yes, Win, pushing the limits all the time, best way to make new discoveries.

Nancy Chan said...

I am not good in this but I find your sharing interesting. Thank you and happy Wednesday!

Kelly Dombrowski said...

That bottom one really caught my eye! I think it's great :D