Friday 26 June 2015

New Canvas Works

I am continuing to work on the ideas from my mindfulness sketchbook pages.  I am still working on the boundaries in the landscape subject and the sketchbook pages are an extension of that. 

I am specifically looking at the shapes that fields form, I love how no matter how hard the farmer tries, they are never square due to things like hillocks, burns, buildings, pylons, rocks, uneven ground.  The shapes of the fields are endlessly fascinating to me.

So drawing those shapes and expanding on them became a great exercise in meditation and the results are now creeping into my everyday work.

It is harder to go bigger, so I am doing it gradually, from 6 or 7 inch square in my previous post to one that is 10inches square and one that is 16inches square.  I am challenging myself with the square format to see how the shapes work.  I don't want them plonked in the middle, so I am experimenting with the placement of them as well.  I also want to do some long thin formats too.

More ideas than time, as usual!

The first one is more or less finished, it is 10"x10" and very precise.  I worked in a very strict, planned manner, drawing things out before transferring them to the canvas and keeping the paint as even as I could.

The second one, is still in progress, sorry for the slightly fuzzy photo, even though we have daylight until the wee hours here in Scotland, we do have cloud and that has reduced the light quality. 

Here I have worked in a much more intuitive way, applying paint, oil pastel and charcoal and letting the shapes form themselves.  I am also applying the paint in a more textured manner.  Although much harder to work this way, I do find it more satisfying and more painterly.

I still have a way to go with this, but I like how it is progressing.

12 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

yes lots and lots of cloud lately :/

wonderful colour as usual, would not expect anything less from your work tho :)

I know its not what you were going for with it, but the top one really reminds me of a twirling dancer :)

TinaCollins said...

Bravo, another winner. Have you seen Bill Guffeys current series? It's nothing like yours but interesting that the core subject is very similar.

Rolina said...

Thanks Jennifer, I quite often see figures in them, not intentional of course!

Yes, Tina, I love Bill's aerial views of farmland, they make great abstract pieces in their own right. Thanks for your kind comment!

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Awesome!

Carol said...

Both pieces are wonderful and I love the colors. I'm drawn to the second one the most... love the looseness of if ♥

Rolina said...

Thanks Kirsty and Carol!

Sheila said...

Interesting and beautiful...loving these Rolina :)To me there is an...ancient feeling to them. Like cave paintings. Captivating.

Giggles said...

Stunning style and use of colour!! I love it! My favourite is the first one with the carefully planned our shapes! Thanks for sharing!

Hugs Giggles

SMV said...

Love these, Rolina, and this time I don't have a favourite. For some reason, the colours in the second remind me of sweets from my childhood but I'm not sure what they were. I love it when artwork does that.
Sharon

Rolina said...

Thanks Sheila, Giggles and Sharon, mmm, childhood sweets, there were some chews called fruit salads, that had that pink/yellow combination, they tasted lovely!

SMV said...

Oh my goodness, yes! Fruit salad sweets! That takes me back.
(You needn't publish this.)

Rolina said...

I published it, Sharon, LOL. They were my favourites, along with black jacks, yum!