Wednesday 14 January 2015

Day 14 - Mixed Media Explorations

Today's painting is another one that has been on and off the easel as I struggled to bring it to a satisfactory conclusion.  Once again, scribing and cropping came to the rescue.  It is 9"x9" and is on heavy watercolour paper.

Process

Bearing in mind the theme of "boundaries", I began by applying modeling paste and tissue before the gesso stage and then I began to build up the paint layers.  My way of working is to start with the darks and gradually move into the lights.  In between layers I added further scribing, drawing, stenciling and collage.
There is part of a spiral to the left of the painting and I began to think about the necessary boundaries the landscape artist has to employ, not only in the frame of a photograph or painting, but also in the composition.  Using the Golden Mean to help with the structure creates new artificial boundaries within the existing ones.  I may explore this further in future paintings.

Cutting Stencils

I felt the need for some more stencils, so have begun to cut some of my own, here are some examples.

I like repeating circles in the painting and up until now I have been using found objects to create them, this doesn't always work perfectly, so this stencil now will be used.






Here is how it looks on a painting.







Next up, are some triangles








 Here they are painted







I made some more and I am looking forward to using them in my future mixed media paintings.

9 comments:

martine paquet said...

Interesting contrasts between dark and ligt. Love the fence.
Thank you to share about your process!

Rolina said...

Merci beaucoup, Martine!

Jennifer Rose said...

binder paper separators for the stencils?

Very vivid blues :D

Rolina said...

Tee-hee, yes Jennifer, they work perfectly!
I hope you are resting your arm and it gets better fast.

Jennifer Rose said...

lol I thought thats what they were, its a good idea, I have a bunch laying around so will make stencils out of them now :)

I'm resting the arm but so hard not to use mr right arm, I want to draw something lol

stapeliad said...

These are so vibrant!!

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

PRETTY cool!

Rolina said...

Thanks Jennifer, Jessica and Sue!

AprilRimpo said...

Your struggles aren't obvious. Very cool,