Thursday 8 January 2015

Day 8 - Mixed Media: Sewing Again

Knowing that yesterday's picture just needed the lines to bring it to a conclusion, I looked at another piece today that needed a certain "something" to finish it off.

It has been on and off the easel several times, but all it needed were some vertical lines to tie some elements together and to create a bit more interest in an otherwise "quiet" (relatively speaking) area.

This piece started life off as a linen tablecloth that I bought from a charity shop.  You can just see, the fabric's woven pattern on the bottom right.

I stapled a section onto board, applied some gesso and texture (modelling paste, scrim, tissue) before applying layers and layers of colour.  A lot.

Circles began to present themselves to me so I went with the flow and encouraged them to emerge with my paintbrush and charcoal.  There is more stamping, stenciling and scumbled paint, writing and finally, the sewing.

I have been working on this for days and I am delighted to see it completed.

7 comments:

Sandy Sandy Art said...

This really caught my eye in the 30/30 lineup today! Love it.

carol edan said...

This is so beautiful.. Your imagination is wonderful!!!

http://cagleyart.blogspot.com/ said...

I love that you stuck with this and it turned out so beautiful!
Connie

Rolina said...

Thank you very much, Sandy, Carol, Connie and Sheila. I hope you are having as much fun with the 30 in 30 as I am!

AprilRimpo said...

I love the variety of forms in this painting. It works wonderfully. Congrats on finding the last element that pulled it together.

AprilRimpo said...

Love this Rolina. It always amazes me how one little touch makes such a difference. That happened for me on my current series.

Rolina said...

Thanks April!